These cemetery listings are as written by Janet Riemer in 1977 except as noted. Development of cemeteries in South Brunswick has occurred in three phases. The first phase took place during the early settlement of the area, when the burial grounds were small plots set aside by landowners. Many of these plots were used exclusively by one family while others were shared with friends and neighbors. In size, they vary from a single grave to over fifty internments. At first, markers, when used, were crudely chiseled fieldstones. Later red sandstone was implemented. Most of these cemeteries today are either abandoned or totally destroyed. However, plans are underway for the possible restoration of several of the larger abandoned cemeteries by service organizations in the township.
Cemeteries representing this phase are as follows:
Vunk-Quick Burial Ground
This cemetery is also known as the Sand Hill Cemetery, Johnson Cemetery or Beekman Road Cemetery. It is located on the northwest side of Beekman Road, .4 miles from the ntersection of Route #27, in a grove of trees adjacent to the road surrounded by an iron fence.
Higgins Family Burying Ground
This old private cemetery is located on the south side of Route 27,.1 mile south of Raymond Road. The remains of this cemetery are in a small wooded area between a grassy area and a field. According to a family member, several slaves were buried in the area. Part of the cemetery was disturbed when a pipeline was laid nearby. Only two stones were found in 1975.
Probasco Family Burying Ground
This burial ground, also known as the Conover Cemetery, is in the Rhode Hall area of the township. It is on the south side of Deans-Rhode Hall Road, just east of the NJ Turnpike overpass in a dense thicket of trees, .2 mile west of the intersection with South River-Cranbury Road. A few, broken headstones were visible in the southern part of the small woods in 1977.
Van Dike Family Burying Ground
This small plot is located on a farm that was in the Van Dike family for many generations. On the southwest side of Davidson’s Mill Road. It is .65 miles from the intersection with Fresh Ponds Road. In 1975, one headstone plus several fragments were scattered in a grove of small trees, surrounded by a cultivated field.
Begun by the Dean family, this cemetery was later used by several families in the Martinsville or Deans area of South Brunswick. It is located .3 miles northwest of the overpass of Major Road and the old Pennsylvania Railroad, from Gould Lane across private land.
Van Pelt Cemetery
On Georges Road, near the intersection with Deans Lane, is the Deans School. When the existing building was constructed in 1928, the Van Pelt Cemetery was paved over to provide a playground area. With the permission of the families involved, the headstones were placed in the woods in the rear of the property. Inscriptions were recorded at that time by Mr. William Baker of Deans.
Isaac Slover Grave
According to a 1936 record, this grave was located on the south side of the Dayton-Jamesburg Road, [Ridge Road]. It could not be found in July 1974. Residents of the area stated that it had been on a knoll in a hedgerow .75 miles west of Browns Corner and then .2 miles south on a dirt road between a field and an orchard. It appears that clearing for an access road to the orchard deposited debris into the hedgerow, obscuring the grave.
Thomas McDowell Plot
This single grave is in the Deans area of South Brunswick. It is located on the northwest side of Georges Road, .5 miles northeast of the intersection with Deans Lane. A solitary tombstone is propped against a tree on the southerly side of a grove of trees which is adjacent to the Hermann Forwarding Co. Although large and unbroken, the inscription has been completely obliterated. Fortunately, the inscription had been copied in 1952.
Davidson’s Mill Burying Ground
This cemetery is apparently extinct. No trace of is has been evident for many years. According to several old maps of the township, the cemetery was located on Davisons Mill Road, about one quarter mile east of Lawrence Brook. One map shows part of the north side of the road and another part of the south side, not directly opposite. An inscription was copied from the last remaining stone sometime in the 1930’s. No other record has been found.
Stout Family Burying Ground
This cemetery, located on the former Stout Farm, is no longer in existence. It was on the north side of the Ridge Road, 1.6 miles northeast of the intersection with Route #1. Prior to March 1952, the headstones had been removed from the plot in preparation for plowing of the area.
Hush-Roberts Burying Ground
In the Sand Hills area of South Brunswick, is this small cemetery, also known as the Thompson Plot. It is located in the woods on the east side of Sand Hills Road, .7 miles north of the intersection with Route #1. Although only three inscribed stones exist, it is known that many other burials took place there.
No evidence of this cemetery remains today. The location is overgrown with no stones apparent. Knowledge of its existence comes from a long-time resident of the Little Rocky Hill area. The cemetery was on the northeast corner of the intersection of Old Road and Chinese Lane, .3 miles from the northern intersection of Old Road and Route 27. A Chinese family farmed in the area for many years and used this plot as a cemetery. It is not known if stones ever existed. NEEDS CORRECTION Link to pdf from Richard Grubb and Associates, about the cemetery.
Beekman Farm Plot
This cemetery appears to no longer be in existence. It was located on a farm owned by the Beekman family which was on the east side of Route 130, a short distance south of the intersection with Stults Road. Several headstones were remembered by a long-time resident of the area but no evidence of them has yet been found.
Titus Family Plot
On the edge of Kendall Park is a solitary headstone marking a family burial plot. Located on the old farm behind Hodge Road, along the northern boundary of the farm, it is the only marker remaining, although several burials took place there.
The second phase in the development of cemeteries in South Brunswick took place after the population had increased. Residents desired more formal cemeteries. This need was met by the development of church organized cemeteries. The following cemeteries are examples of this phase.
Fresh Ponds Cemetery
It is believed that the Fresh Ponds Cemetery was begun by the congregation of the Methodists-Episcopal Church of Fresh Ponds, which is no longer in existence. The cemetery is located on the south side of Davison’s Mill Road just west of the intersection of Fresh Ponds Road. Several of the tombstone inscriptions are in German, indicating the heritage of the area’s residents. The cemetery is still active.
The Dayton Cemetery is an old but still active cemetery. It is located on the west side of Georges Road, .1 mile north of the junction with the Ridge Road. On an 1876 map of South Brunswick, a Baptist Church is shown on this site. The cemetery was probably begun by the congregation of this church, but the church is no longer in existence. In 1878, the Dayton Cemetery Association was formed and maintains the cemetery at present. Only burials prior to 1950 are included in the following list.
St. Barnabas Episcopal Churchyard
Located at Sand Hill is the churchyard begun by the congregation of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. Behind the old chapel, it is approximately 200 feet east of the intersection of Route #1 and Major Road. The cemetery has between 80 and 90 graves and is now operated and maintained by an association.
The Third phase of development of cemeteries is exemplified by modern cemeteries, begun since 1900. These are association owned and operated. Records of burials are kept by the associations and were not recorded for the township archives. The following cemeteries are representative of this group.
Holy Cross Burial Park
840 Cranbury South River Road
East Brunswick, New Jersey, 08831 USA
104 Deans Rhode Hall Rd,
North Brunswick Township, NJ 08902
Floral Park Cemetery
104 Deans Rhode Hall Rd, Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
Oaklawn Memorial Park
104 Deans Rhode Hall Rd, Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852